Friday, July 2, 2010

Someone Is Always Left Behind

Recently I was reflecting on the sentiments of the “No Child Left Behind” program outlined by the US government. I understand that each child needs to be challenged and motivated academically. What the US government does not take into account, is that each child is an individual and needs to progress at their own speed.

The one-room schoolhouse of frontier America placed each child in the grade where they were performing. One student might be in 4th grade math, but 2nd grade reading, and the ages were mixed. The student progressed when they had mastered the level they were at.

As a special education teacher I have to write grade level goals for my students. If they are in 7th grade, then I have to write a 7th grade goal. Some of my students read at a 3rd grade level. It would make sense to write a goal to get to 4th grade, but instead I have to write a goal for 7th grade. Many of my students are “Late Bloomers” and they begin to catch up in 7th grade.

Some of my students will never excel academically. This doesn’t mean that they don’t have talents. I have students that sing well enough to be soloists, others that are gifted at drawing, and some students that would do well in a drama class. Unfortunately, there are no choirs, art, or drama classes available for them.

Not everyone is destined to go to college, but everyone can make meaningful contributions in their life. One of my students will make a great Mom. She is patient and kind. She helps the other students whenever she can. She has told me that she cooks for her family, and helps to care for the younger children. She will most likely never be a scholar, but she is a fine person.

I think the US government has fine ideals, but they don’t understand that “One size” does not fit all. From my viewpoint, the government could change their slogan to “No Child or Teacher Left Unstressed.”

No comments: