Monday, September 6, 2010

Got Vegetables?

I have greatly limited my meat intake the last couple of days. Isaac fed us no meat for dinner on Saturday, and my knee was not swollen or tender on Sunday morning. I had just a small amount of chicken last night for dinner. This morning I could bend my knee, which means there is no swelling. This leads me to suspect gout as the type of arthritis I have in my knee. This type of arthritis usually affects one joint. Common sites are the big toe, ankle, or knee. It is caused by having too much uric acid in the body. Foods high in purines are bad for gout sufferers. These foods include red meat, organ meat, and seafood. I think my last tests at the doctor’s office listed my uric acid at 73. The top of the normal range is 70. This is only slightly elevated, but being overweight also increases this problem. I figure it is worth it to experiment by eliminating these trigger foods. I have nothing to lose, and only relief to gain. Relief from pain is good.

No comments: